MinID Passport is an electronic ID solution which can be used to log into some public services online.
MinID Passport uses passport verification as a part of registration to verify the identity of the user.
The solution uses a two factor authentication mechanism. While logging in the user enters a self-selected password and a one-time code sent to his/her mobile number.
What do you need to register as a MinID Passport user
To register a new MinID user account, you need the following:
- A smartphone with an active mobile number
- Your passport
- Your D number / personal ID-number (fødselsnummer) from the Norwegian Population Register
- Your email address
How to register as a MinID Passport user
You need to scan your passport using a passport reader app from Nets. You can download this app from Nets' web page once you have pressed 'Continue'. The app must be installed on your smart phone before you can start reading your passport.
- The user can register a new MinID user account at registration.minid.digdir.no
- After clicking "Continue" you will be asked to install the mobile app, Nets Passport Reader, which will be used to read your passport and verify your identity. You can download the Nets Passport Reader App either by scanning the QR-code or by looking up Nets Passport Reader in Google Play og App Store.
- When the app has been installed please click “Next” on the webpage running in your web browser.
- The next step is to activate the app. In your browser you will get a 6 digit code and a QR code that can both be used to activate the app. Please enter the activation code in the app or scan the QR code with the app to get started.
- Scan the machine-readable zone of the passport by following the instructions in the app.
- Turn the passport around so that the app can read the NFC (RFID) chip of the passport. Please follow the instructions in the app.
- The app takes a video selfie to confirm that the person using the mobile is the same as the one identified in the passport. If this check is OK, information from the passport is sent back to MinID.
- Go back to the MinID registration process running in the browser and provide your Norwegian personal ID-number or your D-number (11 digits). MinID will now attempt to match the data extracted from the passport with your ID registered in the Norwegian Population Register.
- If the matching is successful, you may now register your email address, mobile number and create a password for MinID.
Your new MinID user account has now been created and can immediately be used to log in to some public services online.
How to log in using MinID Passport
- Go to the service you want to log in to
- Select MinID.
- Enter your national identity number and your password. Click "Next".
- If you have registered that you will use code by SMS, the code will be sent to you immediately.
- Enter the code and click "Next" to complete the log in.
How to reset password
- Go to the service you want to log in to.
- Click "Forgotten password" on the log in screen
- Enter your national identity number and click "Next"
- Enter the 5-character code from the SMS, click "Next"
- Enter the 6-character code received by e-mail and click "Next"
- Create a new password, at least 8 characters long (permitted characters are A-Z, 0-9 and special characters)
- Check the contact information and click "Confirm"
Nets Passport Reader supports Android 5.0 and higher; iPhone 7 and higher (iOS 13.1 onwards).